Welcome to ole Prescott but completely updated and remodelled stone home built in the later 1800’s. This century home delight is perfect for a family home or even as a commercial business. This property is on the downtown main street of Prescott, a short walk (just across the Street) to the waterfront and within the commercial district.
Restored 3 bedroom home with a gourmet kitchen has all of the present day amenities. Forced air natural gas heating and central air conditioning keeps operating costs very reasonable. The list of renovations in the last year are endless from new windows, soffit, fascia, siding, support posts, garage, paving, kitchen, bathroom. Presently has 2 kitchen in the main house, one being used for a catering business. Easy to remove and expand living area is so desired.
The attached 1 bedroom income suite adds to the economy of this property. Present long term tenant wishes to continue but the options completely open to new owners.
The property is zoned commercial with duplex so again the options are endless.
The Town of Prescott is a welcoming riverside community, rich in natural splendor and culture. Residents enjoy the scenic waterfront atmosphere of the St. Lawrence River, and enjoy the best of small-town living with all the conveniences of a large urban setting.
Located on the South Shore of the St. Lawrence River, the Town of Prescott is ideally located near Highway 401, Highway 416 and close to the international bridge; a strategic connection to the Canadian and US markets. Its key location, with access to major Canadian cities, makes Prescott a sensible choice for existing and new business investments.
The arts and culture in the Town of Prescott are also noteworthy attributes that not only attract tourists to the area, but provide unique opportunities for residents to enjoy. The Prescott Golf Course, The Forwarders' Museum, Fort Wellington and historic walking tours are just some of the attractions. In the summer months, tourism peaks with the St. Lawrence Shakespeare Festival, A Taste of Prescott, the Farmers' Market, and the newly developed RiverWalk Park.
The residents of the Town of Prescott benefit from the addition of new commercial business and the growing cultural scene in the area. Volunteer organizations, a forward-thinking council and residential developments provide new and current residents with great opportunities to enjoy the excellent quality of life that the Town of Prescott offers.
Major Edward Jessup (1735-1816) was awarded the 1200 acres on which Prescott is located by King George III for his loyalty to the Crown during the American War of Independence. Jessup led his troops to Augusta Township, which was established in 1784, along with the other seven Royal Townships along the St. Lawrence River from Cornwall to Kingston. Jessup decided to convert a portion of his farm in Augusta into a town site in 1810 and surveyed the land in order to sell town lots. He named the town after General Robert Prescott, governor of Canada from 1796 to 1799.
Prescott was a strategic site on the St. Lawrence River for various reasons, including the fact that it stood at the head of the series of rapids between it and Montreal. All boats and ships between Montreal and York (later named Toronto) had to transfer goods and people at Prescott between smaller and larger vessels. Prescott's first major business was the forwarding trade to facilitate these transfers. When war broke out in 1812 between America and Britain, the British decided to build a fort at Prescott to safeguard the border and maintain the flow of traffic along the St. Lawrence River. Fort Wellington was built between 1813 and 1815 to accommodate British soldiers on land that had been owned by Major Jessup.
The Town of Prescott grew quickly because of its location and the availability of land for sale to settlers who began arriving immediately after the war in 1816. The immigrants were largely from the British Isles and the United States. Britain had just successfully concluded the Napoleonic wars and there was pressure on large numbers of the population to emigrate to Canada to seek a better life. This was intensified a few decades later with the Great Irish Famine. A post office was established in 1816 and in 1823 a customs house. Alpheus Jones, descended from the Loyalists, was put in charge of both. He built what is still regarded by many as the grandest home in Prescott on Dibble Street, beside today's town hall.
By 1834, when the town was incorporated as a Police District, the population had grown to around 1700. By that time, the town boasted a large number of substantial and handsome stone residences and commercial establishments.
Trade was thriving. The town had four churches, a college, three Common schools and a female seminary. The political unrest of 1837 in Upper and Lower Canada came to Prescott in 1838 with the Battle of the Windmill. The local militia and British soldiers successfully repulsed an invading force of self-styled Patriot Hunters from the United States attempting to liberate Canada from British rule.
Early Prescott industries included iron forges, shipbuilding, tanneries, breweries and distilleries. Many smaller businesses sprang up including carriage makers, harness makers, shoe and boot makers, blacksmiths, cabinet makers, grocers and dry goods merchants. By 1850, the town had grown to about 2400, sufficient to warrant the establishment of a municipal government. In the years following Confederation in 1867, Prescott grew quickly. Railways connecting it to Ottawa and Montreal and Toronto had been built.